I’ll confess, I didn’t have to think up this recipe. That may be cheating…but it’s my personal paycheck for the hassle getting the Pumpkin Pie Bars just right…
Truth be told, this super-easy recipe for stuffing is the same one I’ve been serving my family and friends for about 20 years. Hey, when you’ve got a winner you stick with it, right? Dinner guests always ask for the recipe…I can’t think of anyone who’s tried it and not loved it.
There is one ingredient I left out from the original. You know what it is I’m sure. Yep, bread. To keep this stuffing recipe gluten-free, there’s not a stale bread crumb anywhere in it. But just to be sure it worked, I whipped up a bread-less batch this past weekend and my husband and I agree the flavor is still just as amazing as the original.
If you want a little starch in it, you can chop up squash or sweet potato to add to it. Always feel free to get creative with my recipes to give them your own personal touch 🙂
In fact, you’ll notice a little of my own Italian heritage coming through in this one with the sausage and seasonings. I just can’t help myself sometimes. And besides, why would I question such savory flavors that go so well together?
Your family will gobble gobble this stuffing! Yes, that’s lame I know.
But seriously, give this one a try. It might be a nice change or even a new addition to your Thanksgiving table.
- 1 lb of Italian sausage (we used spicy)
- 1 cup of onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- 2 apples, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown sausage in a skillet, with olive oil and garlic
- Remove from heat and set aside
- Sauté chopped celery and onion in 1-2 tbs of olive oil until tender (about 5 minutes)
- Sprinkle parsley over above during the final minute of cooking
- Remove from heat
- Preheat oven 350º F
- Peel and chop apples into small cubes
- Toss apples, raisins, cranberries, sausage, onion and celery together
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, then salt and pepper to taste
- Add the 1/4 cup of chicken broth and 1/4 cup of white wine
- Pour into 9″ x 12″ baking dish
- Bake covered 30-35 minutes, then uncovered the last 15 minutes
- Remove from oven, toss ingredients, and serve hot
- Note: The white wine adds an extra layer of flavor, but feel free to leave it out if you prefer