Instant Pot Frozen Chicken or make rotisserie style whole chicken in pressure cooker with 5 mins prep. It comes out super juicy! Instant Pot chicken and potatoes and Instant Pot butter chicken is another dinner you can make with frozen chicken.
If you have fresh chicken, check out this Instant Pot whole chicken recipe then. Enjoy! 🙂
Frozen Whole Chicken in Instant Pot
Instant Pot frozen chicken is juicy and flavorful rotisserie style whole chicken you can make at home with 5 mins prep time.
Imagine putting whole frozen chicken in Instant Pot and having tasty chicken in an hour-ish. Even chicken breast is juicy. Not to mention it is easy to make organic.
I think being able to cook meat from frozen is one of many best features of Instant Pot. My freezer is always stocked with 2-4 organic whole chickens from Costco.
Because it is the cheapest cut of chicken and when I’m out of dinner ideas, I make my Instant Pot chicken noodle soup or this Instant Pot rotisserie chicken.
Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken Ingredients
- Frozen whole chicken about 4 lbs
- Avocado or olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
If Your Chicken Has Giblets…
You can cook frozen whole chicken with ties and giblets inside. Most giblets are in paper bags anyways. Just remove giblets after cooking.
If you buy fresh whole chickens, just remove giblets before freezing. Easy-peasy.
Why Do You Rinse Chicken?
I rinse frozen chicken so oil and then spices will stick to it. Otherwise, good luck “burning” your fingers on a layer of frost and losing all spices.
If you carefully rinse raw meat in the sink, then wash your hands with soap and wash sink with dish soap and cloth, it is safe. It is absolutely OK.
There is a lot of misinformation on the web right now aka fake news. Everyone with a phone is “a professor”.
How Long to Cook Frozen Chicken in Pressure Cooker?
If you are new to pressure cooking, check out my Instant Pot guide. It explains what happens, why and how to avoid failures.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet but are thinking about buying one, I explain which Instant Pot to buy in my humble opinion.
Cooking time varies based on the size of your chicken AND Instant Pot.
Why? Because larger size Instant Pot has larger volume (area) for more pressure to build up. Thus, it takes longer to bring pressure down.
Therefore, 8 quart pressure cooker keeps cooking chicken while bringing down pressure for 40 minutes vs. 6 quart that takes only 15 minutes.
For 6 quart Instant Pot:
- 4 lbs whole chicken – 60 minutes.
- 5 lbs whole chicken – 70 minutes.
For 8 quart Instant Pot:
- 4 lbs whole chicken – 40 minutes.
- 5 lbs whole chicken – 50 minutes.
- 6 lbs whole chicken – 60 minutes.
Looking for more dinner ideas? Check out my most popular collection of 30 healthy Instant Pot recipes.
Can I Cook Fresh Chicken?
Yes. Fresh whole chicken requires twice less cook time than frozen. If your chicken is thawed, then use this Instant Pot whole chicken recipe.
Natural or Quick Release?
Use only Natural Release.
Please do not vent pressure by turning valve to Venting and come back and tell me your chicken was raw.:) Your Instant Pot needs to bring down pressure inside on its own.
This will allow chicken to finish cooking while juices in the meat settle. It is like letting steak to rest – same idea.
Do not do Quick Release (turning sealing valve to Venting position). Just in case.:)
What to Serve Whole Chicken With?
- Serve however you would serve a rotisserie chicken (just so much less sodium and it can be organic) with classic mashed potatoes or low carb cauliflower mash.
- Southwest quinoa salad (pictured) coming next week.
- We also like to buy a whole grain baguette and veggies for a side. Quick, healthy and easy.
- Shred and use throughout the week, make healthy chicken salad or freeze for later.
- Freeze bones from a few whole chickens to make Instant Pot bone broth.
Do Not Throw Away Golden Liquid at the Bottom
Keep that flavorful broth at the bottom of the pot, throw back the bones and add desired amount of water. Pressure cook on High for 1-2 hours.
Then add frozen vegetables (mixed, corn, peas, broccoli etc.) and “sprinkle” pasta (to prevent sticking). Close the lid, don’t press anything and let soup “cook” for 5 minutes or so.
Season to taste with spices and fresh herbs. Do it at your pace throughout the day.
More Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Recipes
Did you know we have entire Youtube channeldedicated to healthy Instant Pot recipes and tips? My goal is to help you become confident with your Instant Pot by demonstrating each delicious foolproof recipe in step-by-step videos.
Make sure to subscribe and hit the Bell icon not to miss new videos.
- Instant Pot shredded chicken – cook frozen chicken breasts in 15 mins and shred.
- Instant Pot chicken and rice – whole or cubed frozen chicken breasts works.
- Instant Pot stir fry – basically main 2 ingredients can be cooked from frozen here.
- Instant Pot chicken breast – cook frozen chicken breast and it’s so juicy!
- Instant Pot frozen chicken breast
- Browse all healthy Instant Pot recipes.